Before commencing, you will need:
Medicare and/or Benefits card(s):-
Your Medicare card, Pension or Healthcare card
Health Insurance/Payer details:-
Your Private Health Fund, DVA or Workcover details
The current medications you are taking including dosage and frequency
Your next of kin or emergency contact details, any admission information supplied to you by your doctor (e.g.: date of admission, reason for admission)
Checklist for Admissions
Pre-admission is an important part of your hospital care. To ensure we can confirm your admission, financial and other arrangements, we ask that you follow the prompts below to ensure everything is completed in its entirety to ensure a smooth admission.
WHAT TO BRING INTO HOSPITAL WITH YOU
- HEALTH FUND DETAILS
- MEDICARE CARD
- AMBULANCE DETAILS
- DVA CARD
- LETTER OF APPROVAL WORKCOVER / TAC
- PHARMACY ENTITLEMENT CARD
- RELEVANT X-RAY SCANS
- PACEMAKER DETAILS
- COPY OF INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT (IF OVERSEAS NATIONAL)
- A CURRENT LIST OF MEDICATIONS
On the day of admissions:
- DO NOT eat or drink anything including water after midnight for morning surgery.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything including water after 7 a.m. for afternoon surgery (prior to 7 a.m. have a light breakfast. E.g. tea and toast).
- DO NOT smoke, chew gum or suck lollies.
- DO NOT wear jewellery (wedding ring and watch are permitted).
- DO NOT wear make-up or nail polish.
It is important that you have a shower on the day of your surgery, however:
- DO NOT use talcum power.
DAY SURGERY PATIENTS
For DAY SURGERY PATIENTS, please ensure you bring the following with you:
- Please shower on the day of admission before coming to the Day Procedure Unit and wear fresh clothes.
- Wear garments that are comfortable and easy to remove.
- Check with your nurse before informing relatives / friends regarding the time that you should be picked up.
OVERNIGHT STAY PATIENTS
For OVERNIGHT STAY PATIENTS, please ensure you bring the following with you:
- Nightgown and/or pyjamas.
- Dressing gown and slippers.
- Personal toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc.).
- Current medications in original packaging.
- Personal details including Medicare Card, Health Insurance details/book/card, Veterans Affairs and Pharmaceutical entitlements (if applicable).
- Relevant recent X-rays.
NURSING PRE-ADMISSION INFORMATION
You may be contacted by telephone prior to your day of admission by our Pre-admission Nurse. If you are contacted, your medical history will be reviewed with you and admission and discharge details discussed. Please take this opportunity to discuss any concerns regarding your admission during this telephone call. Your doctor will notify the hospital of the date of your procedure / operation and inform you of your day and time of admission. Your doctor will also explain your procedure or operation and complete the consent form with you.